Friday, December 8, 2017, 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Due to our continuing successes over the years, in both quality & quantity of exceptional birds; we are pleased to again offer 2 trips to NBVC Point Mugu this season. We always have additional local experts on this popular trip.
Date & Time
Friday, December 8, 2017
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Water fowl, rails, egrets, shorebirds, ducks, Vermilion Flycatcher, raptors etc. 80+ species are typical for this trip
Jeff Hanson, Peggy Kearns, and base biologist, Martin Ruane. Expect local experts to join us on this rare and exceptional day.
$55.00; Limit 14 people; Register at Eventbrite
Registration open October 1st – November 8th 2017
Fourteen lucky SBAS members will be granted access to the Point Mugu Naval Air base on this unique opportunity to visit some 2,000 acres bordered by the Pacific Ocean and some of the most bountiful agricultural land in Southern California. Marsh and and coastal wetlands provide a stopover for thousands of migrating birds each year and habitat for seven endangered species of birds. The area is so rich in wildlife that our day there typically counts 80 species including egrets, rails, Vermilion Flycatcher, waterfowl, shorebirds, raptors, and more.
This field trip takes us to an active Navy base. All participants are required to fill out an Access Pass Registration Form.
- You must be approved before entering the base
- Download these additional instructions for the form below.
- Download this Navy Access Pass Registration Form.
- REVIEW the form to ensure you can meet the requirements.
- Purchase your ticket on Eventbrite
- Fill out the Navy form completely
- Sign and email the form to Jeff Hanson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to submit your Access Pass Registration Form to Jeff Hanson is November 8, 2017. NO CAMERAS ARE ALLOWED ON BASE! We will car pool ($8.00 gas money to drivers) from the Andree Clark Bird Refuge at 7:00 am (park in the small lot at 57 Los Patos Way). Once you receive reservation confirmation you can meet us at the base if you so desire. Directions to the Naval Air Station:
- (note the google map pin is not exactly correct)
- Take Hwy 101 to the Rice Avenue off ramp
- Head towards the ocean to Hwy 1
- Take Hwy1 south (Rice Avenue becomes Hwy 1 south)
- Exit at Wood Road
- Turn left at the stop sign onto Naval Air Road
- Take the first right onto Mugu Road
- Meet at the main gate parking lot immediately to your right
You must be a citizen of the United States and you will need a photo ID. The Base Biologist, Martin Ruane, will guide us around the base from 8:00 am to 12 noon.