Date & Time
Friday, September 9, 2022
8:30 am - 10:30 am
The Goleta Beach / Goleta Slough / Atascadero Creek area is one of the go to hot spots in Goleta for birding. The eBird hotspot for the area boasts 232 species. Water fowl, shorebirds, waders, raptors, gulls and other species are not uncommon in their season. Goleta Slough is the main drainage for many of the Goleta valley / western Santa Barbara area creeks, providing waterways for birds to up to and down from the Santa Barbara mountains.
We will do everything we can for a safe experience, but COVID is always a risk. Additionally, SBAS may decide to cancel events should pandemic conditions warrant it. For these reasons, we ask that:
– All attendees be vaccinated, each participant bring a mask to the event, and social distancing be practiced to the greatest extent practicable.
– Masks be worn in car pool situations.
– Prior to attending any bird walk or field trip, please come back to this page for any event updates.
– & Others
Location: Goleta Beach Park
5986 Sandspit Rd, Goleta, CA 93117
Directions (Where we will meet!)
From Hwy 101 north-bound:
– From Hwy 101 take Hwy 217 towards UCSB
– Take Exit 1, Sandspit Road
– At the stop sign turn left towards the ocean
From Hwy 101 south-bound:
– Take Exit 105, Fairview Avenue
– At the exit light turn right towards the ocean
– Follow Fairview Avenue:
– Straight through the light at Hollister Avenue…
– Through the two right-angle bends at the airport…
– The road name eventually becomes Sandspit Road
– Sandspit Road turns left and continues under the Hwy 217 overpass
– Turn right into Goleta Beach Park and cross the bridge
– Turn left at the stop sign
– Park in the parking lot
– We will meet in the parking lot west (UCSB side) of the old Beachside Bar-Cafe
Trip Coordinator: Peter Thompson