Date & Time
Friday, April 28, 2023
8:30 am - 10:30 am
The Goleta Beach / Goleta Slough / Atascadero Creek area is one of the go to hot spots in Goleta for birding. The eBird hotspot for the area boasts 232 species. Water fowl, shorebirds, waders, raptors, gulls and other species are not uncommon in their season. Goleta Slough is the main drainage for many of the Goleta valley / western Santa Barbara area creeks, providing waterways for birds to up to and down from the Santa Barbara mountains.
We will do everything we can for a safe experience, but COVID is always a risk. Additionally, SBAS may decide to cancel events should pandemic conditions warrant it. For these reasons, we ask that:
- All attendees be vaccinated, each participant bring a mask to the event, and social distancing be practiced to the greatest extent practicable.
- Masks be worn in car pool situations.
- Prior to attending any bird walk or field trip, please go to santabarbaraaudubon.org/activities for directions and event updates.
- & Others
- From the South
- Traveling North Bound on Hwy101
- Take Hwy 217 Airport UCSB (Exit 104B)
- From Hwy 217 take Exit 1: Santspit Road
- Turn left onto Sandspit Road
- From the North
- Traveling South Bound on Hwy101
- Take the Fairview Avenue off ramp (Exit 105)
- Turn right on Fairview, head towards ocean
- Road changes name to Fowler then Moffett and then Sandspit Road
- Then for everyone
- Sandspit Road turns left and continues under the Hwy 217 overpass
- Turn right into Goleta Beach Park and cross the bridge
- Turn left at the stop sign
- Park in the parking lot that’s west (UCSB side) of the old Beachside Bar-Cafe
- We will meet in the parking lot
- Map Here
- Bring water, snack
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Bring a hat
- Binoculars a must, spotting scopes are useful