Date & Time
Sunday, February 27, 2022
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
The Ventura County Game Preserve is adjacent to Point Mugu NAS and close to the ocean in Oxnard. It is a private club which occasionally allows birding groups to visit its 650 acres of ponds and wetlands. The preserve is a hot spot for waterfowl, wetland birds and raptors. This is a Members only event, SBAS and Goleta Coast Audubon members only.
To ensure the safety of our leaders and participants, the following protocols have been adopted until further notice:
– All participants are mandated to have been vaccinated to attend a field trip.
– Decision to wear masks on field trips will be up to the discretion of the trip leader.
– Maintain social distancing.
– If you are sick, or feel unwell, do not attend.
- Virginia Rail
- Peregrine Falcon
- American Bittern
- White-faced Ibis
- Yellow-headed Blackbirds
- Vermilion Flycatcher
- Marsh Wren
- & others
Trip Leader: Peggy Kearns and Jeff Hanson
- Take Hwy 101 to the Rice Avenue off ramp (in Oxnard)
- Turn right on Rice Avenue and head towards the ocean
- Take the Hueneme Road turnoff when Rice Avenue turns to Hwy 1
- Head West on Hueneme Road
- Turn left on Casper Road
- Turn left at the end of Casper Road into the private area
- Please Park on the paved road near the drainage ditch at the ranch buildings
- SBAS and Goleta Coast Audubon Members Only!
- Bring water, snack or lunch and wear comfortable shoes and hats. Dress in layers.
- We will be walking about 3.0 miles in exposed area.
- Binoculars a must, spotting scopes are very useful.
Trip Coordinator: Jeff Hanson
Contact Jeff for information or questions at
Sponsored By Santa Barbara Audubon Society