Date & Time
Sunday, February 27, 2022
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
February Field Trips and Bird Walks have again been canceled. We are all saddened by this on going disruption to our favorite pass time. Check back later for the March update. We all miss our times together.
The Ventura County Game Preserve is adjacent to Point Mugu NAS and close to the ocean in Oxnard. It is a private club which occasionally allows birding groups to visit its 650 acres of ponds and wetlands. The preserve is a hot spot for waterfowl, wetland birds and raptors. This is a Members only event, SBAS and Goleta Coast Audubon members only.
To ensure the safety of our leaders and participants, the following protocols have been adopted until further notice:
– All participants are mandated to have been vaccinated to attend a field trip.
– Decision to wear masks on field trips will be up to the discretion of the trip leader.
– Maintain social distancing.
– If you are sick, or feel unwell, do not attend.
- Virginia Rail
- Peregrine Falcon
- American Bittern
- White-faced Ibis
- Yellow-headed Blackbirds
- Vermilion Flycatcher
- Marsh Wren
- & others
Trip Leader: Peggy Kearns and Jeff Hanson
- Take Hwy 101 to the Rice Avenue off ramp (in Oxnard)
- Turn right on Rice Avenue and head towards the ocean
- Take the Hueneme Road turnoff when Rice Avenue turns to Hwy 1
- Head West on Hueneme Road
- Turn left on Casper Road
- Turn left at the end of Casper Road into the private area
- Please Park on the paved road near the drainage ditch at the ranch buildings
- SBAS and Goleta Coast Audubon Members Only!
- Bring water, snack or lunch and wear comfortable shoes and hats. Dress in layers.
- We will be walking about 3.0 miles in exposed area.
- Binoculars a must, spotting scopes are very useful.
Trip Coordinator: Jeff Hanson
Contact Jeff for information or questions at
Sponsored By Santa Barbara Audubon Society