Date & Time
Friday, December 6, 2019
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Plan to arrive by 7:45 for check in.
We don’t want to use our birding time to check in!
Location: Point Mugu Naval Air Station
Parking lot at the top of Mugu Road, Port Hueneme, CA 93041
Map: Point Mugu Naval Air Station
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, water fowl, rails, egrets, shorebirds, ducks, Vermilion Flycatcher, raptors etc. 80+ species are typical for this trip
Jeff Hanson, Peggy Kearns, and base biologist, Martin Ruane. Expect local experts to join us on this rare and exceptional day.
$55.00; Limit 14 people; Register at Eventbrite
Registration open October 7th – November 8th 2019
Fourteen lucky SBAS members will be granted access to the Point Mugu Naval Air base on this unique opportunity to visit some 2,000 acres bordered by the Pacific Ocean and some of the most bountiful agricultural land in Southern California. Marsh and and coastal wetlands provide a stopover for thousands of migrating birds each year and habitat for seven endangered species of birds. The area is so rich in wildlife that our day there typically counts 80 species including egrets, rails, Vermilion Flycatcher, waterfowl, shorebirds, raptors, and more.
This field trip takes us to an active Navy base. All participants are required to fill out an Access Pass Registration Form.
- You must be approved before entering the base
- Download these additional instructions for the form below.
- Download this Navy Access Pass Registration Form.
- REVIEW the form to ensure you can meet the requirements.
- Purchase your ticket on Eventbrite
- Fill out the Navy form completely
- Sign and email the form to Jeff Hanson
Deadline to submit your Access Pass Registration Form to Jeff Hanson is November 8th, 2019. NO CAMERAS ARE ALLOWED ON BASE! It is more than an hour drive to the base, we encourage you to buddy up with others to carpool.
Directions to the Naval Air Station:
- Take Hwy 101 south to the Rice Avenue off ramp
- Head towards the ocean to Hwy 1
- Take Hwy1 south (Rice Avenue becomes Hwy 1 south)
- Exit at Wood Road
- Turn left at the stop sign onto Naval Air Road
- Take the first right onto Mugu Road
- Meet at the Gate 2 (formerly Main Gait) parking lot immediately to your right
You must be a citizen of the United States and you will need a photo ID. The Base Biologist, Martin Ruane, will guide us around the base from 8:00 am to 12 noon.
- Dress in layers
- Bring water, snack or lunch
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Bring a hat
- Binoculars a must, spotting scopes are very useful
- Remember – Arrive on base at 7:45