Photos by Hugh Ranson (left to right) — Broad-billed Hummingbird, LeConte’s Sparrow, and Northern Shoveler. Birds observed just before 118th CBC
The 122nd Audubon Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is just around the corner! The Santa Barbara CBC will be held on Saturday, January 1, 2022. We hope you’ll join us in making this another successful count. We’re already hard at work and have contacted many of last year’s site leaders. Fingers crossed for more rain but hoping for nice weather on count day.
Thanks for your interest, and will be posting more information soon,
Liz Muraoka, Joan Murdoch and Libby Patten
SB CBC Coordinators
The Santa Barbara 121st CBC is almost here: Saturday, January 2, 2021! Registration is now closed. We look forward to a good day birding, albeit with a much smaller crew and without the fun of our traditional gatherings. National Audubon has been supportive of any CBC wanting to cancel their count this year, and indeed we have studied and debated the pros and cons. We feel that we can go forward safely and comply with all the protocols set out by Audubon and Santa Barbara County.
The Zoom compilation event will be Saturday January 2nd at 7:00pm.
Meeting ID: 865 5373 7194
To Participants with an assignment:
Thank you for volunteering for the 121st CBC. As we all know, things are different this year! The decision to hold our count was difficult, but we believe it can be conducted without unnecessary risks. In that light, we expect everyone to follow the guidelines from Audubon and Santa Barbara County:
- Absolutely no gathering of any kind among people from different households.
- Masks and social distance of at least 6 feet at all times in the field if you are near people not in your household.
- No carpooling with anyone outside your household.
For most of us, the CBC is something we look forward to, and birding is a positive activity that is good for our mental and physical wellbeing—and condoned by our state’s Covid guidelines. That has been the most compelling reason for deciding to go forward with our CBC, and we hope you have a great day out birding.
We understand that your coverage of the site/s may not be as complete as it has been in other years. There may be additional places you’re asked to include that you didn’t sign up for. Please do your best to cover as much as you can. Here’s how to submit your data; there are no paper forms (electronic forms available from the Forms menu above), so please use one of the methods below:
- eBird your checklists (one for each site, use hotspots where available).
- Share your checklists with user sb-cbc in eBird at the time of submittal if possible.
- Complete a participant form. Be sure to include your checklist links on this form in the space provided.
- Send your form by email by the end of the day to your area coordinator
- Word checklist:
- Complete a one-column MS Word checklist
- Complete a participant form
- Return these forms by email by the end of the day to your area coordinator
SB CBC Coordinators
CBC Volunteer Submittal Form
Please provide the following information: