Date & Time
Sunday, August 28, 2022
8:00 am - 11:00 am
Location: Coal Oil Point Plover Reserve
Join us for a special treat! Renown Santa Barbara local birder Nick Lethaby will lead this trip. He is sure to help us find some special birds as migration is beginning in the county!
We are certain to see this years new batch of Snowy Plover chicks.
This will be an opportunity to see late summer Santa Barbara specialties. This is a good time of year to see migrating shorebirds and terns.
A special treat on this trip is that it is to be led by one of the top birders in the SBC… Nick Lethaby!
After we have scoured the plover reserve, we will then set up spotting scopes above Coal Oil Point in the hopes of seeing early migrating birds (loons, sea ducks and geese, and whatever else may be flying by). As with the least terns, no guarantee we will spot anything but this is a chance to practice a sea watch at one of the best local spots to do so.
We will do everything we can for a safe experience, but COVID is always a risk. Additionally, SBAS may decide to cancel events should pandemic conditions warrant it. For these reasons, we ask that:
– All attendees be vaccinated, each participant bring a mask to the event, and social distancing be practiced to the greatest extent practicable.
– Masks be worn in car pool situations.
– Prior to attending any bird walk or field trip, please go to santabarbaraaudubon.org/activities for directions and event updates.
- Snowy Plover chicks
- Least Tern
- Migrating ocean and shorebirds
Trip Leader: Nick Lethaby
- Take Hwy 101 to the Glen Annie/Storke Road exit
- Proceed south (towards the ocean) on Storke Road
- After 1.2 miles turn left on El Colegio Road
- Turn right on Camino Corto Lane (1st light)
- Turn right on Del Playa Drive (road tees)
- Park and meet at the corner of Del Playa Drive and Camino Majorca
- Map: Coal Oil Point
- Bring water, snack
- Wear comfortable shoes suitable for oil on the beach.
- Bring a hat
- Binoculars a must, spotting scopes are useful
Contact Rob for questions or additional information